Saturday, October 15, 2016

How To Change U S P S Address

Privacy Act Statement: Your information will be used to

provide you with mail forwarding and change of address

services. Collection is authorized by 39 U.S.C. 401,

403, and 404. Providing the information is voluntary,

but if not provided we will not be able to process your

request. We do not disclose your information to third

parties without your consent, except to facilitate the

transaction, to act on your behalf or request, or as

legally required. This includes the following limited

circumstances: to a congressional office on your behalf;

to financial entities regarding financial transaction

issues; to a U.S. Postal Service (USPS) auditor; to

entities, including law enforcement, as required by law

or in legal proceedings; to contractors and other

entities aiding us to fulfill the service (service

providers); to federal, state, local or foreign

government agencies regarding personnel matters or for

the performance of its duties; for the service of legal

process; for voter registration purposes; for jury

service duties; to a disaster relief organization if the

address has been impacted by a disaster or manmade

hazard; to individuals or companies already in

possession of your name and old mailing address, as an

address correction service. Information will also be

provided to licensed service providers of the USPS to

perform mailing list correction service of lists

containing your name and old address. A list of these

licensed service providers can be obtained at the

following URL:

Change Your Address

Are you moving? Report your change of address to

continue receiving mail and government benefits.

Change Your Address with the Postal Service

Go to to change your address online. This

is the preferred method for speed and convenience, and

you immediately get an e-mail confirmation of the

Go to your local post office and request a Movers Guide.
You can also ask the USPS to temporarily change your

address or hold your mail.

Change Your Address with Other Government Agencies

Other federal and state agencies to contact when

changing your address include:

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)  – Contact the IRS to

change your address if you are expecting a tax refund or

other mail. You can also change your address with the

IRS by writing your new address in the appropriate boxes

on your tax return when you file.

Social Security Administration (SSA) – Change your

address online using your my Social Security account if

you receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or

disability benefits or are enrolled in Medicare. If you

don't receive Social Security benefits or Medicare,

contact the SSA.

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) – Contact the VA if

you are a veteran who receives benefit payments or you

wish to update your records.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) –

Contact USCIS if you are a non-U.S. citizen who is

required to register your address.

State Motor Vehicle Agencies – Contact your state to

change your address on your driver's license or motor

vehicle registration.

State Election Offices – Contact your state election

office to change your address on your voter registration


How To Stop Junk Mail

The average American receives 41 pounds of junk mail per year. Not only does junk mail clog up our mailboxes, it also wreaks havoc on the environment. Nearly half of the junk mail received annually (44 percent) ends up in a landfill. In addition, nearly $320 million in local tax money is used to dispose of junk mail, and more than 100 million trees are used to create pulpwood for paper products. While the United States Postal Service does not have a one-stop method for reducing junk mail, there are many ways to reduce the amount you receive.

Black out the bar code and address on all junk mail that is delivered using first class postage. Put a circle around the postage and write "Not accepted: return to sender." This can be put in any mail box, and it will be returned to the business that sent it.
Request a 1500 form from the U.S. Postal Service to stop the delivery of sexually explicit material.
Call 1-800-5 OPT OUT to stop mail generated from the three major credit reporting agencies. This will stop the majority of credit card offers.

Contact by phone, mail or email all companies that send out catalogs and request to be taken off their mailing lists.

Call 1-800-645-9242 to be taken off the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes Mailing list.

Contact American Family at 1-800-237-2400 to be removed from its sweepstakes mailing list.

Call or write the Direct Marketing Association (see Resources) and ask them to activate the preference service. This will eliminate close to three quarters of all direct mail for 5 years. You will need to sign up again after 5 years.

Opt Out Directly (When Possible)

Each year your bank or credit card company should be sending you a Privacy Notice. Ironically, this isn't junk mail. In fact, this notice gives you the opportunity to opt out of some marketing and "sharing" practices (translation: selling your info). If you missed that notice and thought it was junk mail, just contact your financial institution and ask about the privacy policy. These opt out opportunities should be available at any institution that handles your money, like an insurance company, an auto dealer you arranged financing with, and even a check cashing place. If they've dealt with your money, they may have a way of opting out so take advantage of it directly.

Another option is to sign up for TrustedID Mail Preference Service. The service is free and you can search for an individual company or organization and find the opt out instructions. You can even find out how to prevent phone book delivery.

Remove Yourself from Marketing Lists

The Direct Marketing Association via will contact direct mail companies and inform them you wish to opt out of any offers they may have. This includes companies you haven't done business with. When you register online you can opt-out of catalogs, magazines, credit offers and "other" mail offerings. To reduce credit card offers only, you can use Both services are independent of each other, so be cautious and sign up for both.

Alternatively, previously mentioned41pounds will opt your family out of offers for $35, which lasts for 5 years. They claim a more comprehensive opt out than the other free options.

Use Electronic Billing

Even if you opt out, some companies may send you junk mail in inserts when you receive your bills. If you switch to an electronic statement, you can prevent this problem. Some companies even charge you less if you switch to paperless billing. You can often do this right from their web site.

Avoid Print Magazine Subscriptions

Magazines often result in an avalanche of junk mail as they sell your information to third-party companies. The publisher may allow you to opt-out of selling your information to third parties, but with a large publisher they can still cross-promote other products within the same brand. Even without the third-party junk mail, the publisher still berates you constantly to renew your subscription. The one piece of junk they won't remove is those annoying insert cards that fall out of the magazine that litter everywhere.

When possible, choose an electronic version of the magazine or start a magazine trade at the office to give your career a boost. If you tend to bring a magazine to a waiting room or a gym, ask the business owner to subscribe to your favorite magazines. Subscriptions are cheap and a great way of accommodating customers.

Donate to a Few Select Charities Instead of Many

If you donate to charity, good for you! But charities often sell your name to other organizations to make money. Smaller gifts barely recoup the costs. Charity Navigator recommends making larger gifts to fewer organizations, rather than many smaller gifts. This maximizes your contribution and gets your name on fewer lists. You may also give to charities anonymously using NetworkforGood.